Thursday, July 21, 2011

Job hunting sucks!

So here I am, back at that crossroads of not having a job and trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up.  Now, one would assume that at 36 I would have at least SOME idea of what I wanted to accomplish with my life.  Sadly, nope.... no clue.  I think all I have figured out at this point is what I DON'T want to be when I grow up.  I know that I don't want to be president, an astronaut, an opera singer, a commissioned sales associate or a teacher.  There are many more to add to that list but those were the first to come to mind.  Things I have thought about doing: Travel agent (sadly outdated with the convenience of Travelocity, Kayak, etc...), probation officer, social worker, psychologist, entrepreneur, and housewife (not an option as I would go crazy and have a breakdown).  I have thought about going back to school which scares me more than words have the power to express.  At this point, I think the last is the best idea.  So I've been researching schools. 

I have such a different perspective this time.  I remember being 18 and thinking about college and where I wanted to go, what I wanted to major in and where I saw myself in 5 or 10 years.  Sitting here almost 20 years later, considering going back to school to finish what I started, I feel scared, almost more so than before.  I had such expectations from myself and from life.  It was supposed to go according to plan.  That did not happen.  I never did graduate.  I am no longer pursuing the field that I trained in for roughly 15 years.  I know that leaving that field was the right choice for me but how much time wasted??  Of course there are those that say it wasn't wasted.  And I do believe that every experience we have helps to create the people we are today so I can't say I regret anything.  Wow.... tangent much??  Anyway, school this time scares me but I think I can actually do it this time.  I'm tired of being overlooked because I don't have a degree.  I think I was convinced that I could prove to the world that you didn't need a degree when you have the smarts, personality and drive.  I think I may have been wrong about that....

So, here I go.  As soon as I can get my FASFA filled out and see if I qualify for government help, I'll be going back to school to major in psychology.  After all, with my life, I've already earned at least an advanced degree in psychology... now to get my paper proving it!!

1 comment:

  1. I can totally see you doing social work except that you would adopt every kid you work with... but I can also see psychology would also be interesting. It is kinda fun to think about starting over.

    ReplyDelete