Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Panera 2: Electric Bugaloo

So today I sit at the "other" Panera and watch a different group of humanity pass me by.  I would label this Panera as the single persons Panera.  Most of the folks who come in here are alone and carrying technology, like me.  Maybe this is the new job search locale for the modern age.  There is technology all around me.  I sit here with my laptop, iPhone and headphones, listening to Pandora's radio station picked just for me that I can customise with the click of a button, looking for jobs and chatting with my awesome little bro.  At the next table over sits a man with his laptop, a bluetooth, a cell phone and an iPad.  There is a couple here as well: He's on his iPhone and she's talking on her BlackBerry.  I can only assume they're not talking to each other.  I did think there was one person who shunned technology.  She came in with a travel mug, a big slouchy handbag and, get this, a PINK leather organizer.  This look compliments her red polka-dot dress and nude patent leather heels as a very put together throwback from about 10 years ago.  Then it happened: she pulled out the laptop and the cell phone and proceeded to get working on both.

What did we do before this age of instant gratification through technology?  I remember having to talk to someone.  How about an answering machine??  Who has one of those anymore?  Hell, who has a home phone anymore?  I'm living in the southern California desert, with a Vermont cell phone as my main form of communication.  My husband finally got a new cell phone, still with a Vermont number, that he can use to text.... finally!  And here I was, fighting the whole texting movement as recently as a year ago!!  Now, where would I be without my iPhone and unlimited texting plan?  I hate how impersonal the world has become while being totally addicted to the things that have taken away interpersonal communication.  I miss sitting around and talking to someone.  I miss the anticipation of checking my answering machine to see if anyone called (I know, I need a life).  I'm beginning to feel about email the way I used to feel about the junk mail I got at home in my mailbox.  I'm waiting for the government to figure out a way to create a "Do Not Email" list for spammers.  Sigh.....

I know I went on a bit of a rant today but it seemed the thing to do.  I feel better now that I've shared with my best listener.... my laptop.  Now I need to go check my iPhone and see if anyone texted me....

No comments:

Post a Comment