Wednesday, August 17, 2011

On Being Grateful....

This subject seems to be calling out to me recently.  I saw a news report this morning on the Today show (a whole other blog on how this show runs my family and has for 3 generations now) and was reminded, yet again, of the fragility of life.  The story?  A cop, back from yet another tour of duty in Iraq, goes into a McDonalds for his much deserved food break.  He encounters a 10 yr old little boy who asks for $.10 to buy a cookie.  The cop whips out his wallet, without a second thought, and buys the kid the cookies.  He asks him what he wants to be when he grows up and tells the kid to work hard and he can achieve anything.  The cop grabs his food and leaves the McDonalds to get back in his car and go about his business.  3 minutes later, a troubled young man pulls up next to him in traffic, pulls out a shotgun and shoots the officer who dies.  3 minutes after he gave of his heart and pocket to make the day of a young boy he had never met and would, most likely, never see again.

To me, this is a sad reminder of how short life can be and how senseless tragedy can be.  BUT, it is also a reminder of the kindness and generosity of people.  How one moment can change a life.  How one act of kindness can stick with a person.  The news report also interviewed the young boy who was the recipient of the cookies.  He seemed confused by the suddenness of the tragedy.  He also was affected by the cop's generosity and warm heart.  I turned to my husband and said "Ten to one that kid becomes a cop."  I wouldn't be surprised if this kid became a cop or a lawyer.  Of course, I know I'm probably just being idealistic again but I can't help it. 

To me, this just reminds me to cherish the moments with loved ones even more: Hug my husband more, call my family more, call my friends more, love on my animals more.  Appreciate the kindness of strangers.  Stop to look at the sunset.  Pause to just breathe.  Enjoy the taste of food.  Celebrate the little victories.  Mourn the losses.  Dance to the radio.  Sing along!  Don't be afraid to be goofy.  Don't be afraid! 

I have always hoped that, when I go, people will remember me as someone who made a difference when she could.  Maybe part of that is also appreciating what you have and reminding others to appreciate what they have as well. 

So, on that note, I offer this up to the universe:
Today, I open my heart and mind up to the powers that be without and within.  I say thank you for everything I have in my life and thank you for the hardships, as we learn from them and become better people for it.  I will try to be more patient, understanding, aware and generous both with my time and my thoughts.  I will try to appreciate this time I have and not be so hard on myself.  I will try to love myself, flaws and all.  Please help me to reach out to others to help them too.  Help me to have patience with myself and others.  Your humble servant.....

No comments:

Post a Comment