Tuesday, August 30, 2011

I Am a Foodie... or Why I HATE Cleaning the Kitchen

So, I am coming out.  This will not be a shock to anyone who has known me for more than 5 minutes, but I am a foodie.  It's true.  I can't hide it.  I love food and not just because I love to eat.  These are actually very different things.  Loving to eat is scarfing down food without appreciating the flavours or the smells or the colors or the textures.  Loving to eat is an action.  Loving food is a lifestyle!  There are many many MANY foodies out there.  Some have made it their profession (just watch one minute of Food Network or the Cooking Channel,) some have become writers or bloggers about food (for a good one, check out my friend's blog http://www.venturafoodhappenings.com/), some go out to any restaurant they can get into just to try something new and some experiment in their own kitchens, taking inspiration from everything they've read and tried.  My husband and I fall into the latter category.  We love to cook!

We watch, read, eat and produce food.  This has not been kind to our health so much, which we are working on and are making progress, but that's another blog for another day, and has most definitely NOT been kind to any kitchen in which we happen to cook.  I tend to be the "neat" one and that's not saying much when we cook.  I am getting better.  I am making a conscious effort to improve my kitchen etiquette.  The same cannot be said of my husband. 

Now, let me just say, the man can COOK!!!  He loves it!  He relishes any opportunity to try something new!  And it's rough for me, being married to a man who loves to cook and loves to bake... oh yeah, a real hardship.... That having been said, I usually get to clean up after these amazing cooking sessions.  I don't mind cleaning up usually.  However, sometimes the destruction is awesome in the true sense of the word... as in you stare in awe at the colossal mess.  And just HOW does he manage to get food UNDER the lip of the counter???  To be fair, I have had my moments.  I did manage to get spaghetti sauce on the ceiling once (there was a horrifying splatter-when-I-dropped-the-pan-because-it-was-hot thing going on when this happened) and we do not have a dishwasher (other than me) and I do get lazy sometimes and leave the dishes to pile up.  So on those occasions, I have no one but myself to blame. 

What might have started this whole thought process today, you might be asking.  Well, for the last 2 hours, I have been scrubbing and dusting and cleaning up.  I have found food in places I didn't know it was possible to get food particles!  I have learned that Seventh Generation makes a multi-surface cleaner that, when splashed in one's eye, does not sting.  I have tripped, more than once, over both dogs who think mom is putting "nummies" on the floor for them to consume.  I have washed a small mountain of dishes and pans.  I have had to start a load of laundry as all of my cleaning cloths are dirty.  AND I have had the realisation that next time my husband cooks, HE gets to clean up!  Maybe he will become more aware of where he is scattering his foodie mess.  I'm not holding my breath, mind you.

We will still cook.  We will still make a mess.  I will still expect flour on the refrigerator door handle.  I will still expect "gunk" on the oven door.  I will even expect a mound of dishes.  But maybe, I can get some help with the clean up.  Any volunteers???  We'll feed you!

No comments:

Post a Comment